- FREON APPLIANCES
- SCRAP METAL
- LIGHT BULBS & BATTERIES
- MEDICAL SURPLUS
- CITY RECYCLING DROP OFF
Freon Appliances: air conditioners, refrigerators, freezers, dehumidifiers.
We do not pick up Freon appliances (unless the appliances are part of a kitchen set donation). Please come into the store to pay the $10 fee, then reverse your vehicle to the Donate Here doors to drop your item(s) off any time during our regular business hours. Freon appliances are handled by Appliance Warehouse, and they remove the Freon, so it isn’t allowed to vent into the atmosphere, where it has been linked to ozone depletion. Once the Freon is removed, appliances are recycled for the scrap metals. Your fee supports Construction Junction continuing to offer this community service.
Light bulbs, Ballasts, and Alkaline Batteries
Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (CFLs) – absolutely no broken CFLs!!
- FREE, thanks to Duquesne Light’s WattChoices program.
- Drop off at the register.
- ABSOLUTELY NO BROKEN CFLs! If you have broken CFLs be very careful, keep contained and check with the Pennsylvania Resources Council (PRC) for help because CFLs contain mercury which is toxic.
Light bulbs – fluorescent, incandescent, halogen – as listed:
- $1 each
- NO BROKEN OR COATED BULBS!
- Fluorescent tubes 8′ long or under
- Incandescent light bulbs (includes halogen bulbs)
- Fluorescent “U” or circle lamps
- High Intensity Discharge bulbs, including High Pressure Sodium, Mercury Halide and Mercury Vapor
- Bring to the cashier to pay the relevant fees; then take your bulbs to the Donate Here doors where a CJ staff member will check your receipt and receive your items.
- $1 per pound, rounded up in half pound increments
- NO LEAKING BALLASTS
- Electronic ballasts
- Magnetic ballasts
- Bring your ballasts to the cashier to pay the relevant fees; then take your ballasts to the Donate Here doors where a CJ staff member will check your receipt and receive your items.
- $0.25 each
- the terminals of each battery must be taped (any tape will do). (Because even the residual energy of a spent battery can start a fire!)
- Bring your batteries to the cashier to pay the relevant fees; once paid for, you will be able to leave your batteries with the cashier.
Any steel, iron, brass, copper, aluminum can be donated to CJ for scrap. If you have any old rusty metal cabinets, hardware, non-working metal appliances, short pieces of steel studs, etc., bring them to Construction Junction and help us reduce our disposal costs and promote recycling. Please reverse your vehicle to the Donate Here doors at any time during our regular business hours to make your scrap metal donation. Please DON’T go to the dumpster with your items without speaking with a CJ employee at the receiving docks.
City of Pittsburgh Recycling Drop Off
Managed by the City of Pittsburgh and conveniently located in Construction Junction’s parking lot is a recycling drop off station. **Please DON’T drop any building materials, trash, paint or electronics at the City Recycling Bins. **
**PLEASE NOTE: Drop-off is only available during CJ’s regular hours of operation. **
- Plastics numbers 1 – 5 & 7 — #6 plastics not accepted
- Corrugated cardboard (please flatten your boxes before arrival)
- Magazines & Catalogs
- Paperboard (for example – cereal boxes)
- Junk Mail
- Phone Books
- Hardback Books
- White office paper
Medical Surplus – Global Links
Global Links is a medical relief and development organization dedicated to promoting environmental stewardship and improving health in resource-poor communities, primarily in Latin America and the Caribbean. For more information, email Matt Fuller, or call 412.361.3424.
Items accepted for drop off at Construction Junction:
- Crutches, canes and folding walkers
- Shower/transfer benches – in good condition
- Wheelchairs- MANUAL – complete and rust free
- Nebulizers (asthma treatment machines)
- Portable suction pumps
- Fans (new – table top or window)
If you have acceptable items that are in good usable condition, please reverse your vehicle to the Donate Here doors and staff will help unload.
Items not on the CJ list? Donations of the full range of items accepted by Global Links can be dropped off at their headquarters, 700 Trumbull Dr., Pittsburgh, PA 15205, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Please note: during the summer they close at 3 p.m. on Fridays.
Bicycles – Free Ride
Free Ride is not a traditional repair shop, where you drop off a bike and someone fixes it, but a bicycle educational facility. Donations of used bicycles are accepted at Construction Junction when Free Ride is closed – please reverse your vehicle to the Donate Here doors at CJ. The entrance to Free Ride is on North Lexington Street, towards the intersection with Thomas Blvd. Hours vary, please check their website.
Need more info?
Have questions? Hopefully, the answer can be found in our Frequently Asked Questions here.